Shell Games

This blog is about the creative process that I engage in while painting. My goal is to clarify my thinking, explore some philosophic questions and get feedback (be gentle!) on my work. I may pose some specific questions from time to time, for example: “Do you think the background would look better in blue or green?” or “I’ve been adding and deleting details for three weeks, is it time to stop?”

The title of the blog, “Shell Games” is the name of a series of large scale oil paintings that I’ve been doing (you guessed it!) of sea shells. I’ve been motivated to explore a range of meanings within meanings, metaphors, and how people view the world and reality or non-reality issues that come up. The paintings are meant to be DEEP, not just cute or pretty, with varying levels of success. You can choose to interpret them as purely decorative, but I’m hoping they have more internal essence than that.

The name “Shell Games” is a double entendre. It comes from old time carnival illusionists and hawkers who would hide a pebble under a shell (or cup, or hat or whatever) and then move the shells around. At the outset, the viewer would lay bets on whether he could follow the action well enough to say where the pebble was when the illusionist was finished. Sometimes, a sly carnie would, through sleight of hand, remove the pebble altogether, thereby cheating the watcher out of any chance of recouping his bets.

In terms of painting, it’s about how you follow the action, what is seen or not seen, what is inside, what is outside, what the distractions are, where you are going or not going. With shells you’ve got that inside, outside and relationship to context that is so interesting. And it has to be playful in some way, too – hence the “game” part of “Shell Games”. It’s not clear if I can get to “edgy”, but edgy would an advancement for me.

Life is a carnival, the Persian poet Rumi would say a Tavern, but the drinking metaphor is too dry for me. I like carnival better. We enter by a gate, there are all kinds of amusements and ways to lose your way or your money, and at some point it is time to go home.

If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website at VictoriaHaskell.com.


Tuesday, December 23, 2014

I've been really BAD (like those shouty capitals) about posting blog entries. It seems I have the most energy at the start of the day, but the lease amount of time. I have more time at the end of the day, but I'm too tired. I really must figure this out!

I have been painting shells again (among other things, see other blogs). Below is a piece I've been working on off and on. The photo posted is none too good - dark morning, but you get the drift. I am drawn to "rondo's" lately, the containment appeals to me and the way the eye moves around. You are forced to focus and examine the items in the circle, find the connection, and move around some more. In a rectangular painting the items have to have their own pull, either through color or shape. In a rondo, the edge of the circle does the job for you. Cool! I can be as bad a designer as I want to be and the edge still moves you around the picture. The circle also acts as its own center of interest, another plus. You don't have to pick and choose and find a focal point if you're not sure of the concept, the circle does it for you.

So, now all I need are more round containers. Must have interesting edges, but not too difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment